First off, the new anti-choice caravan continues to cross Canada. Pro-choice activists have been amazing about getting out there and protesting the caravan along the way. You can read about how folks came out in London to shout them down, and about how the Canadian Auto Workers Unions has joined the protest.
In other (and exciting) news, Canadians for Choice have announced they are hiring a student for the summer, and Options for Sexual Health are currently looking for help with their Sex Line. These are both great opportunities for students who have a background in women’s health, reproductive justice, and community activism and counselling.
Here is the link to the OPTs advertisement
For the Canadians for Choice advertisement, see below:
Job Advertisement: Research Assistant
Short term contract: 4 days per week for 6 weeks
Salary for this position: $11 / hour (30 hours per week)
Canadians for Choice (CFC) is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to ensuring reproductive choice for all Canadians through education, research, and training. Canadians for Choice is a pro-choice organization. CFC is currently hiring for a summer student to fulfill the position of Research Assistant in its office in Ottawa, Ontario.
The selected candidate will be expected to:
– Research the application and integration of the reproductive justice framework and theory into research methodologies and projects;
– Develop and propose research methodologies to conduct subsequent Canadians for Choice Reality Check report within a reproductive justice framework;
– Design steps to operationalize reproductive justice in CFC’s research work;
– Redesign the Canadians for Choice website using WordPress;
– Answer calls on Canadians for Choice Information and Referral Line;
– Possibility to conduct other research tasks as needed.
Statement of qualifications:
– Strong understanding of and demonstrated commitment to reproductive justice and anti-racism/anti-oppression (AR/AO);
– Strong knowledge of social justice, sexual and reproductive rights frameworks, and sexual and reproductive health issues in Canada;
– Experience with various research methodologies;
– Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research;
– Experience using WordPress;
– Experience with graphic design an asset;
– Excellent writing and editing skills in English; knowledge of French an asset;
– Ability to keep meticulous records;
– Required personal qualities: Ability to multi-task, flexibility, ability to work independently and as part of a small team.
Participants must be registered full-time students during the preceding academic year and must intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
Those interested should send their résumé as well as a cover letter by July 9th by email or fax. No phone inquiries please. We thank all applicants, but regret that only those being invited for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on CFC, visit us online at http://www.canadiansforchoice.ca
CFC is an equity employer and encourages applications from historically disadvantaged groups. Self-identification by candidates is completely voluntary.